Vox Populi Forum

Link back to Spacegamer Here!

Sounds like Wishful Wists

Author wrote: "D. & D.ís strength lay in creating indulgent spaces (get lost in your gnomish identity, quest or donít, spend time flirting in the tavern)...."

I could not disagree more. You don't need a rule set to indulge in communal make believe. You don't need the dice either. You might as well sit around and play ghost craps by having someone call out random numbers and have the players pretend they're winners and losers. How do we all feel about our time spent? Pointless (excuse to drink).

Not sure there is a renewed popularity in rpg, seems more of the authorís nostalgic longing for youthful days, less stress on ones time. The guy quit his job to open a kid game center? That soundís like mid-life crisis to me.

Some of the kids demand D&D at the club. Sure, there are more people who like sci-fi and fantasy, agreed, but in terms of entertainment dollars is there any rise? I think more dorms in the eighties had regular D&D games then today. Dads are playing these games with kids. Okay, but at what convert level. D&D in ten years, 1974-1984, by mostly word of mouth went from nothing to a cultural phenom. But itís sadly a one generation hobby. All computer games owe Gygax royalties, but paper and pencil is not the future.

Conrad, was GenCon rpg attracting the majority of attendees?

Author implies the game is open ended whimsy? Quest or donít? Sure and Max might be a pacifist only to ruin play for everyone. The how do you spell roll-play types remain self absorbed. They stall adventures and the storytelling; their prose and humor runs borrowed, stale. That style of play is what made many try role-play games just once and never return. Itís what happens in games, when thereís nothing truly to do.

When a majority of gamers ponder characters, they look to the next trait or piece of gear to make them more successful. Itís a slot machine functionónot all dice are success, but enough are to keep you interested. Without the dice and threat of death of character, there is no sustained focus.

New players will ape the successful actions of veterans. Even Gygax played that way, hence all the +1 winkees. That's not a dig. Risk and reward is a sustainable hobby, similar to reducing golf scores, bowling between beer frames and dealing Bridge. Problem as I often said was the time-sink needed to keep the quests coming. Even in HS when I played D&D every day, I had to forego sleep to get the next bunch of pages ready.

There is a nice episode of Freaks and Geeks on D&D, and the cool kid has to play a dwarf. Eventually, he gets to feel what itís like to rescue a princess. He was not playing a short guy drinking ale. He hated the fact he was a dwarf. But the other kids told him the mechanics he was good at. e.g. Like finding gems. The group quested, asked questions and won by meeting their objective.

The ref is still important for tone and story arc. Even as I fight to make that role go away. We played computer D&D, but added the logic and goals. Face to face beats online play, because we're not open ended (yet). The mind is too complicated to model all suggested actions. But one day (soon), not forty years ago, and not today, but soon, online play will be truly open ended in action and quests will all be unique. If this was all just to attract social gamers, then you could just reward people major xps for being online. In some ways they do by grinding pixel death in current code of play.

The Second Life crowd is at 5% of peak. If a gnomish identity mask were enough, that site would still be vibrant. But curiosity and sexting moved elsewhere. No Manís sky was suppose to be epic, but by all accounts it failed because it lacked purpose.

Role-play without goals, donít resurrect that drivel. Next thing weíll read that LARPing had returned. Give me something to do or just turn on the TV; Iíll watch someone elseís scripted narrative. Thereís many ways to be social. Indulgent spaces? Well, the majority of people are just not clever enough for that to be sustained fun.

Plot and reward were always my focus. Don't role-play what you can do in real life. Flirt in a real tavern. D&D destroys your actual social skills, unless you work for communal triumph, not 'wanna-play' recognition. The author never had a decent Ref, nor saw the true potential. Put the autistic kids back in the chess clubs. I donít need D&D to build anyoneís self esteem. D&D is not therapy to work out your troubles; that form of roleplay is Freud and peppy corporate team building exercises, just a whole lot of time sink, until you get out (of jail).

Yours,

red

Message Replies:
Maybe 25% is RPG -- Statistical Conrad (posted: 11/12/2017) 

Create a New Thread

Reply to this Message:
Name:  
Display Email On Reply Page:  Yes: No:
Email:  
Type "Spammers Suck":  
Message Title:  
| Home |
copyright SpaceGamer, LLC 2003