Spacegamer.com - Standard Barony Mission:
This uses the Tarot Card to Generate a "Standard" Mission on the Fly as described in Designing Fantasy Missions as part of the Barony Set. (Standard means it is not focused exclusively on an Underworld.) No attempt is made here to define each of the finer points.
To begin, determine who the mission is offered to and call them the Party Leader (to accept / reject Mission).
Note: This mission is temporary. Copy it out now if you want it. (It pastes nicely into Word.)
- (Inverted) King Rods: Landed Noble; a Baron or other high born official who governs an area under the authority of a more powerful emperor or monarch. In these more troubled times, as kings loose their rights and their kingdoms are being dismantled, such a man may wield unrestricted power in an area ("here I am the law"). Inverted, Urban Aristocrat; a lord who manages and rules a city or port for a more powerful emperor or monarch. As with baron, this city may only pay lip-service or bear false allegiance to the rightful king or emperor.
- (Inverted) Tower of Destruction: Patron was ordered by someone of greater importance (like the King or a Deity) to complete this task. Inverted, Patron knows Mission will destroy his own power or take his own life, but he remains committed out of loyalty, respect or intimidation.
- (Inverted) Ace Coins: Supervise mundane tasks or duties (i.e. oversee the painting of a wagon). Inverted, supervise mundane tasks or duties, at least duties that appear mundane; they in fact cover a greater plot (i.e. painting of wagon ensures it will not be moved; in fact, the wagon covers a hole under the city wall that will be used at nightfall to secretly bring a spy into the city).
- (Inverted) 10 Swords: Bad fortune will befall players; Referee decides result, but penalties to game's dice rolls seem to be a standard way of applying bad luck. Inverted, good fortune will follow; Referee decides result, but perhaps lower the number required for most of game's dice rolls.
- 5 Cups: Legal, moral or political motive. Inverted, secure rights that present rulers or governments do not recognize.
- (Inverted) 9 Cups: Fortune in art and jewelry, but limited hard coin. Inverted, though Patron has a fortune in jewelry, he will not sell any of his pieces. His finances are thus limited.
- (Inverted) Knave Rods: Lord of Garrison. Inverted, Chief Constable.
On the way to the Mission Climax, the Party will travel through three game Phases which may be short or long (depending on the Tarot cards drawn). These represent the obstacles and challenges along the way to the Ultimate Climax of the Mission.
(A) Initial Successes:
(B) Challenges on the Journey:
(C) Final Travel to the Climax:
Referee creates the flow of the climax OR refer to Designing Fantasy Missions!!!
Come on Back and maybe we'll have a generator in for you. Otherwise, use the Temple and Castles from our Legacy tools. (Hey, or buy the books!!!!!)